Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Michigan Trip - Day 3 and 4

Monday we headed to the beach.   The munchkin has been sleeping in pretty late every day that we have been here so far, so it's hard to get an early start, and we hate to wake her up early.  Once she did get up, we fed her breakfast and headed out.  It was much colder once we got there then it had been at the house.  The lake breeze really cooled things off.  It didn't stop the munchkin from diving into the water several times, leading to joe having to dive after her and grab her.  She was not scared of the water and she could care less how cold it was.  Even though she was shaking from the cold each time she came back out.

We left after about an hour, hoping the next day would be warmer.

That night we picked up steaks from the meat market to grill at the house.  They had grassfed steaks!  I am still nervous grilling them, as we haven't gotten completely used to how differently they cook on the grill.  I would almost say we mastered it that night.  It was the best grassfed steak I have ever had, even better then the one we had at the Kirby Grill the night before.  It might have been one of the best steaks I have ever had in general.  It was cooked perfectly (medium rare), and so tender and juicy.  Everyone else had conventional steaks, and after tasting mine, they agreed mine was more tender.  Now that we know how to grill them properly (you have to use a different technique then with conventional steaks, and it's so easy to overcook them, making them tough and dry), we will be much more confident grilling them for others too.

After dinner, everyone else walked to the park down the street and then to get some ice cream.  I stayed at the house and watched the Bachelorette (don't judge).   After they got  back the girls spent some quality time with Joe.

Then after the girls went to bed, we made drinks and sat around the fire pit.

Tuesday morning we got up early to head down to the beach.  It was HOT at the house and we really expected it to be perfect beach weather.  Once we got there though, we were disappointed to find it really foggy and cold.  It was so foggy, we couldn't even see the pier.  When the wind picked up, it was even more cold.  Luckily it did warm up after about an hour or so.  I was actually able to get some sun and maybe even a little bit of color.

The girls had so much fun playing in the sand.  What a mess we all were though.  The girls kept throwing sand all over everything, including in our eyes.  Obviously they didn't know any better, but man it sucked when they did!

After they had eventually reached their limit, and we could tell they were hungry and tired, we headed back to the house.   After a bath and some lunch, they went down for naps.  I can't believe how great both of them have been sleeping here.  All of this action has been really wearing them down.

For dinner that night, we decided to check out the Grand Seafood and Oyster Bar.  The girls were the only children in there, and we were a little nervous bringing them in at first, but they did great.  They had an awesome band playing which set up right near our table.  If the girls did make any noise, you couldn't hear them over the band anyway.  We also brought a couple of books and toys for them to play with.  I ordered the munchkin some green beans and she shared some of Joe's steak with him.  I ordered sushi, a tuna roll and a lobster roll.  They were both great, but that lobster roll was really fantastic.

After dinner we walked around on the pier and let the girls climb on the bleachers set up in front of the channel heading out to the lake (later we would be watching the musical fountain from here). 

We walked along the pier and stopped at the Pier Peddler for ice cream.  We also found a magnet there (Joe and I buy a magnet for the fridge on every trip we go on, obviously we don't have that many).

 After the ice cream we headed back to the bleachers to watch the musical fountain.  The fountain has been in place since the 60's and was at one point the largest musical fountain in the world (I'm not sure if it still is or not).  The girls were about to lose their mind while we were waiting for the show to start.  It was already 30 minutes after the munchkin's bedtime, and she was definitely ready.  Once the show started though, she was mesmerized.

The girls passed out as soon as we got home.  We were all a little tired, so we just watched a movie and went to bed.

Today we are getting ready to head over to the Imagination Station.  This is a 10,000 sq ft wooden playground.  Hopefully the girls are going to have a blast.


Lil' Woman said...

Them in their little itty bitty bathings suits kills me...they're so freakin cute!

Sarah Smith said...

I love all of the pics! Sounds like you're having a great vacation.

Kara said...

Looks like you had a wonderful vacation. I love your pics. I also eat grass fed beef. If you need any more tips on how to cook the meat you should check out the La Cense Beef website. They have lots of information on grass fed beef and great tips and recipes on how to cook it.