Friday, April 10, 2009

Acid, Butt Covers and the Weekend... Oh My!

My throat is on fire!! I have been getting acid reflux. Bad. From what I understand this is one of the most common things that pregnant woman go through, and I had read there was a good chance I would suffer from it as well. But having never experienced acid reflux or heart burn before in my life, I had no idea how awful it could be. I have been getting it since early on in my pregnancy, but the last two days have been just awful. I feel like my entire esophogas is on fire!

I am having ice cream for lunch today because it feels good and the concern for my growing ass is being outweighed by the burning acid in my throat.

The Tums I have been using so far are no longer cutting it for me. I have been reading online about all of the different medications you can take while you are pregnant. I'd really like to pick up some Pepcid AC, but with all of the differences in opinion on what is safe and what isn't, I would really like to talk to my doctor about it first. But it's Good Friday, so they have shut down their office. Arg.

I realize that alot of it has to do with diet, so I have researched that as well. But sometimes, it can get really bad, no matter what I eat.

I ordered a bed wedge online a few weeks ago and that helps alot at night. I was literally having to try to sleep sitting up. Every time I would fall deeper into sleep I would slide down into the bed and the burning sensation would wake me right back up again.

I guess I will just have to suffer through the weekend until I talk to my doctor on Monday.

I am 19 weeks today. Only 10 more days until we find out of there's a little boy or girl growing inside me. I am so excited to find out!

I have finally decided what I am going to use to cover the baby's bum once they arrive! I have been researching cloth vs. disposable diapers since I was pregnant the first time over the summer. I loved the idea of using cloth diapers for obvious reasons like the environment and a chemical-free material touching my baby's booty, but I was also worried about the convenience of them and how well they would win over my hubby and anyone that was babysitting for me. One diaper that I kept gravitating towards was the gDiaper. They almost seemed to be the best of both worlds. The cloth diaper outside could be used through several changes before being washed, while the liner on the inside was disposable. You can flush it right down the toilet or just throw it away, but no matter what you do it is reabsorbed by the planet in a neutral or beneficial way. And the diaper designes are soooo cute!

I was still undecided and was continuing my research until recently. My best bud Anrazel over at Companion to the Wind has a little baby of her own and she has recently started trying out cloth diapers on him. She bought some used ones on Craigslist that ended up not working for her. They were either not cared for properly by their previous owner, or they just weren't a good fit for some reason, but they leaked constantly. She then decided to try out gDiapers. Yay!! And so far she is really liking them. Its so nice to actually know someone else first hand that is using them with success. And Babies "R" Us sells them in their stores, so I can actually register them for my baby showers! So my mind is made up and I have finally settled on a plan. Whew! One less thing to worry about. Here's some pics of some cute gDiaper bums.




Tonight I am headed out to visit with Anrazel and her adorable little baby boy. Her mom is in town and I haven't seen her in a while, so it will be fun to catch up. Tomorrow I am taking my niece Aubrey to a big Easter Egg Hunt! I am really excited to have some time with her away from everyone else... I think she is going to have a blast and I can't wait to post the pictures. It's been raining the past two days, so hopefully it won't be too muddy tomorrow. Sunday we are heading over to my grandparents house for lunch. My parents, my sisters and their hubbies will all be there so I am looking forward to that.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

4 comments:

Gina said...

Ohhhhh...the acid reflux. Oh man, I forgot about that. I think, on purpose. Spearmint Tums were my best friends until they quit working for me too. Once, I literally thought I might be having a heart attack because the pain went all the way to my back and partially down my left arm. I was writhing around on my bed, which is not easy with a big ol' belly. I know there are safe meds, even prescription to take. Good luck. Crossing my fingers for a sunny sky for us tomorrow!!

Brittany Ann said...

Yikes! Acid reflux, huh? That stinks! I'm sorry! Hopefully the doc has suggestions. And good call on the hybrid cloth-disposable diaper. These sound genius!

Jillian said...

Okay, so I am 95% sure you can NOT take pepto bismal for your heart burn. However I am about 60% sure that you can take Mylanta!! I have only recently started to get it but my doctor reccommended that after I eat I should drink a glass of milk and make sure I am sitting up for awhile as well! Hope those ideas helped! I wanted to do cloth diapers but she is probably going to a childcare part of the time and my mother-in-laws the other parts so I know neither one would be willing to work with me on it!! If I was a stay at home mom I would do in a heartbeat!! I just had to realize, unfortunately, that I am not the only one that will be watching her:( Have a good Easter weekend!

Anna said...

Yay for gdiapers! I am so happy with them! And I actually thought the EXACT same thing as Jillian when I was pregnant. I resisted cloth because of the same reasons, but it is so surprisingly easy even with him being at daycare full time...I really can't believe I waited this long to do it. Check out the yahoo group for gdiapers...it's a great place for advice and they have a place where members sell their gs for super cheap! Although yours will likely be bought off of your registry.
I'm so sorry about your acid reflux. I hope it will get better soon!