Friday, September 23, 2011

Homemade Mayonnaise - Coconut Oil and Olive Oil (sugar free • gluten free • low carb • dairy free)

My original posted recipe is from the book Nourishing Traditions.  I changed things up a bit to meet my tastes and needs a little better, and this is what I came up with.  I love it!

Please make sure that you always use pastured eggs from a reliable source when eating them raw, like in mayonnaise.  Please do not use conventional eggs from the grocery store!  If you have a Whole Foods near you, they sell pastured eggs from Vital Farms and that would be a good choice if you don't have access to a local farm.






HOMEMADE MAYONNAISE - Coconut Oil and Olive Oil
(sugar free • gluten free • low carb • dairy free)

Equipment:
Immersion Blender (stick blender)

Ingredients:

  • 1 whole egg
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 Tb Dijon Mustard
  • 1 Tb Lemon Juice
  • 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
  • 1/4 tsp White Pepper
  • 1 Tb Homemade Whey (optional, but will last much longer in fridge)
  • 1/2 C Organic, Unrefined, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
  • 1/2 C Organic, Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Directions:

  1. Bring all ingredients to room Temperature (or at least really close, don't pull it all out of the fridge and try to whip it up right away).
  2. In a tall glass, a couple inches wider then the end of your immersion blender, add the eggs, mustard, lemon juice, sea salt, pepper, and whey.  Combine ingredients for about 30 seconds with blender.
  3. Add coconut oil and mix for about 30 more seconds or until very well combined.
  4. Slowly add in olive oil with a thin stream as you run the immersion blender.  Blend until mixture becomes thick and creamy, about a minute, maybe a little longer.  
  5. If you used whey to ferment it, seal mayonnaise in an airtight glass jar and leave on counter top for 7-12 hours, then move to fridge where it will last for 2-3 months.
  6. If you did not use whey, move to the fridge immediately, mayo will last about two weeks.
Normally this doesn't happen, but the last time I made this, it started to separate after sitting on the counter for an hour.  I think my problem was that I didn't let the ingredients warm up enough after taking them out of the fridge.  I grabbed my immersion blender, stuck it in the jar and blended it for another minute or two to combine it all again.  I didn't have much hope, but It worked great!!

No comments: