Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Creamy Red Pepper Sauce (sugar free • gluten free • low carb)

I am a big fan of red peppers.  I will eat them plain, no problem.  I love adding it to the blender when I am making hummus.  My new obsession is in this creamy sauce that can be enjoyed in lots of different ways.  On Sunday, when I did my freezer cooking for the month, I multiplied this recipe by four so I could save some to enjoy throughout the month.  The following recipe yields around 2 cups.

I forgot to take a picture until after I had already packed it up to store.  But you can see what a pretty color it is!



CREAMY RED PEPPER SAUCE
(sugar free • gluten free • low carb)

Ingredients:
  • 3 Tb Butter
  • 2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
  • 2 Tb onions, chopped
  • 2 Large Red Peppers
  • 1 Tb Tomatoe Paste
  • 1/2 tsp Thyme
  • 1/2 tsp Parsley
  • 1/2 C Dry White Wine, like sauvignon blanc
  • 1 C Homemade Chicken Broth
  • 1 C Heavy Cream
  • Salt to Taste
  • Cracked Black Pepper to Taste

Directions:
  • Mince garlic cloves and onion and saute in butter in a pan over medium heat until soft and translucent.
  • Clean Red Peppers, remove seeds and stem and dice, then add to pan.
  • Add tomato paste, thyme and parsley.
  • Stir for about 5-10 minutes until peppers are softened.
  • Add 1/2 C white wine and bring to a boil.
  • Add 1 C chicken broth and bring to a boil.  Simmer until reduced, about 15-20 minutes.
  • Add 1 C Cream and bring to boil.  Simmer until reduced, about 15-20 minutes.
  • Let sauce cool and add some salt and pepper.
  • The sauce will not be completely mixed and the ingredients will be somewhat separated. Use Immersion blender to liquefy the sauce and make it creamy.
  • Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
  • Makes about 2 Cups.
If you don't have an immersion blender, you can put the sauce in a regular blender, but it won't be as smooth and creamy.  It will still taste yummy though!  Enjoy over grilled chicken, seafood or pasta.  Or anything else you might like to add it to.  It is very versatile and can be used on many things.

No comments: