Thursday, December 8, 2011

Almond Flour Tortillas / Crepes (processed sugar free • gluten free • low carb • dairy free • GAPS)

Last night for dinner, I made chicken enchiladas.  I had pre-made a bunch of filling ahead of time and taken out a bag to thaw in the morning.  When I got home from work, I started making the tortillas.  They are actually more like crepes, but they work just fine for either purpose.  After I finished assembling all of the enchiladas, I had two tortillas/crepes left.  I hate wasting anything, so this morning for breakfast, I made these.  Please excuse the crappy cell phone pics...




I whipped up some heavy cream with vanilla extract and stevia and sliced some strawberries for the filling and for the top. Oh ma gosh. They were delicious. Maybe a little too sweet for breakfast, as I am more of a savory type in the morning. I think they would have been even better with bacon in them or crumbled over the type. Or maybe if I had only eaten one as a companion to something else, like sausage or something. I do not have much experience with crepes for breakfast, plus I had to work with what I had. Any suggestions for fillings so I could have made these even better?  As is, they were yum and made me feel a little naughty this morning like I was having dessert for my breakfast.


Almond Flour Tortillas / Crepes
processed sugar free • gluten free • low carb • dairy free • GAPS


Ingredients

  • 5 whole eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 C Almond Flour
  • Pinch of Sea Salt
  • 2 tsp Raw Honey for sweeter crepes (optional)
  • Herbs and Seasonings for a more savory tortilla (optional)
  • Butter or Coconut oil for pan


Directions

  1. In a medium bowl, scramble eggs, then add almond flour, and additional ingredients of choice.
  2. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium low heat.  Butter skillet (or use coconut oil).
  3. Pour 1/4 Cup of the batter into the center of the skillet and immediately tilt and swirl the skillet around to spread a thin, even layer.
  4. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side until lightly browned.

Makes 6-7 crepes

You can find the original recipe that I used here.  I changed it up a little bit, and the original measurements have to be off, cuz if you used 1/3 cup of the batter, no way are you gonna get 6-8 crepes.  Or maybe I am crazy.  Also, I think switching it to 1/4 cup of the batter works better for tortillas as they taste less eggy and are thinner so your enchiladas don’t taste like tex mex omelettes (Joe’s description of an earlier batch).  Also, add the honey for crepes, or they can be more savory and you can add in some herbs and spices for tortillas.

And while we are sharing crappy cell phone pics, here’s a pic of my lunch. I found this on my phone from a couple of weeks ago while I was pulling off the pics I took this morning of the crepes. Half eaten, leftover chicken enchiladas heated up in my toaster oven at work.  YUM.



Here’s the recipe I usually start with and use for the filling. I leave out the corn though and use precooked, shredded chicken (they say you can use it from a can, I don’t think that is so much a good idea). The recipe is pretty versatile and you can add or remove whatever you want. I also like to atleast double it and freeze some for later.  Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas

5 comments:

Laura said...

They both look delicious!!!

Shari said...

Oh yum. Your family is lucky!

Unknown said...

THANK YOU for this. I have been doing some serious hunting for a more crepe-like tortilla recipe... I've tried several thicker tortilla recipes and they never turn out. Will be trying these tomorrow!!

Laura said...

You are welcome DomesticPirate! I hope you enjoy them :)

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to try this crepe recipe. For breakfast try spreading a nut butter, adding a banana and rolling up the crepe.