I am not sure anymore where the original recipe came from that gave me the idea for this. I had copied the text and pasted it into an email and sent it to myself a while back and just got around to playing with it. I had to change up quite a few things to add some flavor and suit it more towards our tastes and preferences. I am really happy with how it turned out.
It had the hubby's approval, the munchkin gobbled it down, and even our niece (6 weeks younger then the munchkin) had two helpings.
First mix up your tomato topping, consisting of tomato paste, stevia powder extract (or your sweetener of choice), and a little water. Then set aside.
In a big bowl, mix together the beef, tomato paste, eggs, Parmesan, red peppers, red onions and seasonings. On a piece of wax paper, shape the meat into a rectangle shape, roughly about 8x10 inches.
Place a layer of prosciutto across the top of the meat mixture.
Honestly, the prosciutto is a really yummy addition, but this recipe is still be delicious without it. Prosciutto isn't cheap, and I leave it out most of the time. Other thinly sliced meats would work well too, but I do love prosciutto.
Layer some provolone cheese across the top next.
Starting with the shorter edge, fold inward and roll up the meat and cheese like a giant roll-up.
Now that is a meaty roll-up!
Pinch together all of the open edges, concealing the prosciutto and provolone. It's like a meat submarine!
Place it all in a 5" x "9 loaf pan.
Spread tomato topping over the top in a really thick layer. Place it in the oven and bake.
Drain out the extra liquid and let it rest for about 10 minutes.
Slice it up and enjoy! I served it with some sweet potatoes, all buttered up. It is also excellent with some colorful roasted veggies.
It makes a swirly cheesy yummy presentation.
Really you could try out all different kinds of ingredients in this. Different types of cheeses or thinly sliced meats in the middle. I also think bacon would be good rolled up inside. I hope you'll try it out, it definitely makes a delicious meal and some great leftovers.
Cheesy Meat Roll-up
- 1 (7 oz) jar tomato paste
- 1/8 tsp pure white stevia extract powder
- 2 tsp water
- 2 lbs ground beef (I used an 85/15)
- 1 (7 oz) jar tomato paste
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 C grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 C red bell peppers
- 1/4 C red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 Tb chopped parsley
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 lb prosciutto
- 1/4 lb provolone cheese slices
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a small bowl, mix tomato paste, stevia powder, and water. Set aside for topping.
- Place red pepper in food processor (I used my ninja) and pulse until diced small. Repeat with red onion.
- Place garlic cloves in food processor and mince.
- In a large bowl, mix beef, tomato paste, eggs, Parmesan cheese, red peppers, red onion and seasonings. Work it thoroughly by hand to get everything mixed up really well.
- Lay out a piece of wax paper to work on. Spread out the meat mixture on the wax paper roughly to about 8" x 10" rectangle.
- Lay down a layer of prosciutto on top.
- Lay down another layer of provolone cheese.
- Starting with the 8" side, roll it towards the center and keep going until its all rolled up.
- Pinch and seal up all of the edges so that all of the cheese and prosciutto is completely sealed in.
- Place the roll, with the seam side on the bottom into a 5" x 9" loaf pan. No need to grease the pan.
- Top the loaf with the tomato mixture, slathering it on extra thick. (There was a little bit of mixture left over that I didn't use)
- Bake in the oven at 350 F for about an hour and 15 minutes. You can use a thermometer to test doneness at around 165 degrees in the center.
- Drain excess liquids and let rest for about 10 minutes.
- Slice, serve and enjoy!